Thursday, April 23, 2009

Sat Night @ Fishmarket





So I am going to check out a few bands at the Fishmarket here in Atlanta. I have never been to this particular space but it is in the West End warehouses that I only know by their corresponding letters and numbers. Fishmarket is at D12. I think I remember playing out there years ago, maybe at C11. Who knows, it was a good 10 years ago. Anyway these warehouses began having artists and bands live there many many years ago. Over the years I have had a few friends live and work out of these places. Been to a few new years parties and shows out this way over the years.
Saturday nights bill includes my local favorites Untied States along with The Selmanaires and A Fight to the Death.

Untied States I enjoy live. Here is a video from a recent show at 529


The Selmanaires confuse me a bit. I only recently have seen them live and it was at an instore on record store day (Criminal Records) I had previously heard some stuff on WREK and really liked what I heard. Dark, gloomy and actually quite cool. Anyway, so i went to check them out at criminal and after talking with a few folks realized that I was about to hear a totally different band than I was expecting. "They used to be a 3 piece back in the day," I was told by a few different folks, all of which said they were better back then and should have left well enough alone.
What I heard was so different from what i remember hearing them sound like. Once the music started I felt like I was shot back to the 80's listening to BritPop bands. Everything from Inspiral Carpets, to Happy Mondays, to that Halloween song by Ministry (when they were a dance band!)Really not my style.
So decide for yourself. They have a big following here in Atl and do well touring from what i hear. This vid is from Record store day at criminal last weekend.


A Fight to the Death is a new name to me.
Here is a bit about them from their myspace page ...
"A Fight to the Death began performing as a full band in the fall of 2007, and has played extensively since then lots of local music festivals, parties, etc. Finally in July of 2008, the band release its self-titled debut LP the CD Release Show on July 19 at the super-awesome Highland Ballroom was a huge success, and AFTTD is very thankful to be connecting with so many people! The band’s sound can perhaps best be described as Avant-Western-Gypsy-Americana. With influences including Ennio Morricone, Ibrahim Ferrer, Nusrat Fateh Ali-Khan, AFTTD makes Avant-Americana-Gypsy-Rock music that is steeped in old-world imagery."
Members have come from defunct atlanta bands such as Myssouri, Crybaby and No River City. Their music is interesting. Some of the tracks sound almost carnival like to me. Others with frantic piano. I will let you form your own opinion.
Here is a video


So these 3 bands will all be playing Saturday night April 25th out in the West End area of Atlanta. D12 south space now called Fishmarket. 675 Metropolitan Parkway

No comments: