Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Bonnie Prince Billy in Atlanta

Photo: Pieter Morlion via flickr per Creative Commons


"Bonnie Prince Billy" aka Will Oldham played a close to sold out show (if not sold out) at the Variety playhouse on Friday May 29 2009. Our perfectly timed arrival allowed us to find some choice seats up in the balcony for the evening. We also worked it perfectly to miss the openers and have only about 15 minutes to chat before the main event. Curse me if you wish but I am getting too old and crotchety to sit through opening acts that don't excite me. Don't judge me too soon, I love to find new, exciting, upcoming bands just not at Variety Playhouse or Center Stage. I leave that for 529, Drunken Unicorn or the Earl.

The show started around 9:50pm and went pretty much nonstop for 2 hours with one encore. I consider myself a fairly well rounded music lover, critic and performer so of course I have definite opinions on what i listen to and like.
I am not that familiar with a lot of Bonnie "Prince" Billy, Palace was more of what i remember back in the 90's. From my memory the older stuff gives off a much darker feel. That being said I had no expectations going into the night which can be a great way to hear music.

Onto the review .... So I would have to describe the music as a great mix of ups and downs, country/mountain progressions, dark folk, great lyrics, storytelling and so much more. With some songs having only 1 or 2 aspects of the above and others reeling though so many moods that I forgot if i was still listening to the same song.
The vocal interplay between Billy and Cheyenne Mize sort of got on my nerves. She has a good voice I just didn't enjoy the vocal interaction with Bonnie "Prince" Billy. Harmonizing is hit or miss with me and this was a miss. I just think Bonnie "Prince" Billy's voice doesn't need a partner. Just my opinion! Her voice is good just not fitting for what i wanted to hear. Her fiddle playing is out of this world and a definite plus to the overall sound and feel of the music.
At times the crescendo's were so intense and layered that I wondered, "how can they smoothly come down from this?" One thing I really enjoyed was how some songs could begin with such a Mountain/Appalachian sort of feel and turn into an almost Angels of Light intensity. Just amazing! I even enjoy the way he saunters around the stage kicking out his legs to the front and scooping his way to and from the mic.
The two hours seemed to go by quite quickly until about 90 minutes into the set when I started to lose a bit of interest. Purist fans can stone me if they want. A very short offstage jaunt before the encore finishing the show to huge applause. Introducing all the band members including Jim White of Dirty three fame(thanks to D for pointing that out!) The guitarist Emmett Kelly was awesome and the extra percussion from Pete Townsend really brought some extra depth and layers to the overall sound. Rounding out the stage was a very talented Josh Abrams on bass.
Overall a great show that would make any fan cry if they missed it.

Dragcity Records
Myspace
Mp3 Beware Your Friend
Buy

Tour Dates:
Tuesday, June 2 New Orleans, LA @ One-Eyed Jacks(w/ The Howling Hex)
Wednesday, June 3 Baton Rouge, LA @ Spanish Moon (w/ The Howling Hex)
Thursday, June 4 Houston, TX @ Walter's on Washington (w/ The Howling Hex)
Friday, June 5 Austin, TX @ The Mohawk (w/ Howling Hex)
Saturday, June 6 Dallas, TX @ Granada Theater(w/ Howling Hex)
Monday, June 8 Little Rock, AR @ Sticky Fingerz Chicken Shack (w/ Bachelorette)
Tuesday, June 9 Memphis, TN @ Minglewood Hall (w/ Bachelorette)
Wednesday, June 10 Nashville, TN @ Belcourt Theatre (w/ Bachelorette)
Thursday, June 11 Newport, KY @ The Southgate House (w/ Bachelorette)
Friday, June 12 Columbus, OH @ Capitol Theatre (w/ Bachelorette)
Saturday, June 13 Lexington, KY @ Red Mile Round Bar (w/ Bachelorette)

No comments: