Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Antony & The Johnsons ATL 2.08.09

Photo by Michael Alan Goldberg


This is going to be my attempt to write a short review of the Antony & The Johnsons show at Variety Playhouse in Atlanta on Feb 8 2009.
I am going to be honest, before attending the show I was not very familiar with his music. A good friend had an extra ticket and persuaded me to go. The whole time telling me that I would really enjoy the show and that Antony is an amazing songwriter and vocalist. Unfortunately we arrived about 10-15 minutes into his set. The show started really early at we got there about 8:40. We headed straight upstairs to the balcony area to get a good view.
Antony was seated at a grand piano with an awesome band. Cello, violin, guitar, bass, drums and horns. I was a bit familiar with the Cello player Julia Kent who has played with Angels of Light and Devendra Banhart, among many others. From the time I sat down I was mesmerized by his voice. Trying to put his music in a category is useless to me. You just have to take it for what it is. Emotional music with ups and downs that can take you to faraway places in your mind.
There was some great banter between the audience and Antony with proposals of marriage, talk of authors, crushes and playing in ATL.
They played until about 10pm with 1 encore. Seems like he played everything the audience wanted to hear and even threw in a Beyonce cover, Crazy in Love, which was really good in my opinion. The starfish song was another highlight for me.
All in all I will say it was a great show and I wish more artists could keep my attention for 1.5 hours like Antony did with his amazing music. I definitely recommend trying to catch one of his shows on this short tour.


Tour Dates Here

No comments: