Monday, February 02, 2009

But I don't feel old!

So I have actually been leaving the house a lot more this year. Making an attempt to be social, have a good time, meet new people and see some great music. I find it funny that I am staying out later these days than when I was playing in bands and actually enjoyed going out. Crazy .... I can honestly say 3 of the 4 times I have been out lately we are usually the last ones in the bar for last call.

So Sat night we headed over to the Drunken Unicorn for night 2 of a local fest. Had some drinks at the bar Bookhouse in the same parking lot. (I believe it is owned by the same guy who owns MJQ.) Nice enough little place I would definitely go back for drinks. No smoking though which is not that common in ATL. So the plan was to see Brass Castle at Unicorn then head over to Highland Inn for "Fringe Factory night." Thanks to my friend John we were on the list at Unicorn so when we found out that Brass Castle was off the bill we still went and checked it out for a little while.

Drunken Unicorn was dark as usual and actually smelled a bit stale that night. There was a band playing when we arrived, we watched for approx 2 minutes then headed to next room for the bar. The DJ was playing pretty dealable music in the bar so it was nice to just hang there for a while. Gave the next band a few minutes of out time then decided we were outa there. It was billed as a "punk" fest but it the bands seemed to lean toward the metal/hardcore side of it all. I will say there was a pretty good turnout for a local show at the unicorn.

We headed over to The Highland Inn next for their "Fringe Factory" night. Seemed like a huge collection of "coolio" types out and wanting to be seen. I am not knocking it, I remember being in my early 20's and wanting to be out everynight where the action was. haha It was nice to run into some old friends that I hadn't seen in years. Mostly people that were also in bands during the 90's. I will say it was a bit crowded for my taste and the "smoking alley" sucked in the cold weather!
So again another 4am night. I guess "Fringe Factory" is 60's music ... Not really my thing but I would go back for some good DJ's.

So far my favorite newer bar in ATL is the 529. It is @ 529 Flat Shoals in East Atlanta Village. It is really small but for some reason I have taken to it. Can't wait to see Thank You & Mi Ami there in march. Should be a great show.

No comments: